Volunteers spend approximately 2–4 hours outdoors, sometimes in brushy vegetation. Mosquitoes and ticks are present in the summer, snow likely in the winter. It is very important to dress properly for a comfortable and safe volunteer experience. Wear clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty. We provide tools and gloves.
- Sturdy closed-toed shoes or boots
- Long pants
Optional, but recommended:
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Heavy socks
- Jacket (no flannel or fleece—burs cling to them)
- Long underwear in the winter
- Favorite garden gloves, sunscreen, or insect repellent
- Water bottle
DO NOT wear or bring:
- Sandals or flip-flops
- Canvas shoes
- Tablets or mp3 players. Cell phones should be kept safe in a bag or pocket.
- Flannel or fleece shirts or jackets (burs cling to them and are difficult to remove)
- Dress clothes