The Arboretum is recruiting volunteer restoration team leaders, an essential corps of land care volunteers at the Arboretum. They teach and supervise other volunteers at weekly Saturday morning restoration work parties. Activities include clearing invasive species, seeding native species, and other critical restoration tasks that support the land care staff in managing 1,200 acres of diverse ecological communities. It’s a great opportunity to expand your knowledge of ecology and wildlife, learn valuable leadership skills for any field, and deepen your community ties. The Arboretum provides an extensive training program for team leaders, taught by staff and other professionals.
Restoration team leadership training begins in October 2017. Applications are due by September 29. Training cost is $100.
Team leadership is a significant investment of time and labor, one that is highly rewarding for those who choose the commitment. We expect approximately two years of service – this includes 12 training sessions over 3 months, plus 60 hours as a team leader. The 60 hours is spent co-leading work parties, usually 15 total, one per month. After 60 hours, team leaders will be eligible for professional letters of reference or recommendations from Arboretum staff.
• Restore native ecosystems
• Improve habitat for wildlife
• Learn and practice leadership, communication and management skills
• Develop resourcefulness and problem-solving skills
• Contribute to the community and environment
• Gain knowledge and skill in ecological restoration
• Learn to maintain a range of landscapes in varying conditions
• Learn to identify plants and animals
• Gain a deeper understanding of phenology, ecosystem function, and the value of native species
• Work with interesting and enthusiastic volunteers
• Get fresh air and exercise in a beautiful setting, in every season
• Able to commit approximately 2 years to training and leading work parties
• Have a valid Wisconsin driver’s license
• Able to lift 30 pounds
• Have or will get Red Cross Adult First Aid and CPR Training (note: the training cost does not cover Red Cross certification)
See the team leader position description for all requirements and information.
Please contact Marian Farrior by email or at (608) 265-5214 with questions or to apply.